Jairus went back to the doctor this week to see about his foot. The x-ray part of the visit wasn't very fun, but still the doctor granted him release from the boot. 3 cheers! As Joe and Jairus were leaving the office, Jairus wanted to put back on his "special boot." (We called it special to make him want to wear it in the first place.) It seems that he had forgotten how undesirable and limiting it was at first. He must have gotten accustomed to not being able to jump as high or run as fast. It had become comfortable, so much so that when he was freed from it, he wanted to put it right back on. Joe was quick to note that what Jairus exhibited was a good analogy to us as Christians. We’ve been freed from the crutch of sin. We don’t have to live with the debilitating consequences of acting in opposition to God’s desire for us, but we’ve become so accustomed and comfortable in those habits that we prefer the ways of sin to the freedom found in Christ. Maybe we even have little cute names
for our sin. So we limp along with our sin crutches. But let me assure you, that just as little boys are made to run, we are made to run in Christ (1 Cor 9:24 & 2 Tim 4:7).
for our sin. So we limp along with our sin crutches. But let me assure you, that just as little boys are made to run, we are made to run in Christ (1 Cor 9:24 & 2 Tim 4:7).Which that truth prompted me to start to sing the the Newsboys song, "I am Free."
I am free to run (I am free to run)
and I am free to dance (I am free to dance)
I am free to live for You (I am free to live for You)
I am free (I am free)
yes, I am free (I am free)
I am free!
Jairus is free to run and jump on his healed foot.
And we are free to run the race set out before us. Ready, set, GO!

So glad to hear Jairus is bootless! Sure he'll soon be running and jumping as usual. Good analogy, Joe. How many extra boots (burdens) do we carry? More than necessary for sure.
ReplyDeleteLove to all.
Mom
you guys are so awesome. I miss you and our conversations more than you will ever know! I am glad that Jairus is able to be "free" now!
ReplyDeleteRebecca
Ready to run! Thanks for the analogy. :-)
ReplyDeleteAwesome analogy! May I use it in our church newsletter? Thanks for you updates, esp. the pictures. Just looking at the 2006, 07, and 08 Thanksgiving pictures fills me with amazement. How quickly kids grow, how much they learn in such a short time, how big the impact they have on us. We think about how as adults we influence children, but I've learned so much from my grandchildren and great-nephews and nieces. Thanks for sharing:)
ReplyDelete